Although Harrisonburg is a great place to live, it is always a good idea to get away for a weekend here and there throughout the year. Harrisonburg is within driving distance of many fabulous get-aways, so pack your bag, hop in the car, and drive a couple of hours to one of these destinations:
- Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello: The Commonwealth of Virginia is overflowing with history. Thomas Jefferson, the 3rd President of the United States and founder of the University of Virginia, lived in a huge mansion with immaculate gardens surrounding all sides. His home was perched on a hill and boasts amazing views. A special treat for those visiting throughout December… there are holiday evening tours! Visit Monticello (a quick one hour drive from Harrisonburg), take a tour, stroll the grounds, shop in the gift shop, and then head on over to the Mitchie Tavern for a cold brew. For more information, visit the Monticello website.
- Williamsburg: Williamsburg is packed with Colonial history! A 2 1/2 hour drive from Harrisonburg, Williamsburg offers museums, attractions (like Busch Gardens), shopping, a variety of great dining choices, and guided tours of historic Jamestown, historic Yorktown, and Colonial Williamsburg. You might need to visit twice to get it all in! For more information, visit the official Williamsburg website.
- Bryce Resort: If you want outdoor attractions, this is the place to go for a weekend! Bryce Resort is a 45 minute drive from Harrisonburg, located Northeast of Harrisonburg and very close to the West Virginia border in Basye, Virginia. This resort offers snow sports, golf, rock climbing, hiking, fishing, and so much more. Enjoy the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley for your weekend get-away at Bryce Resort. For more information, visit Bryce Resort’s website.
- Homestead Resort: Fine dining, luxurious living, and a touch of history make The Homestead a great place to visit for a few days. This resort offers a spa experience, golf, tennis, and special holiday packages. The Homestead is located in Hot Springs, Virginia, which is just under 2 hours from Harrisonburg. For more information, visit The Homestead’s website.
- Washington, DC: Head North to Washington, DC, our nation’s capitol. We have a beautiful capitol city and it is jam-packed with things to do and see. Visit all the monuments and Smithsonian museums, Arlington National Cemetery, The White House, and listen to some local music at one of several clubs located downtown. The eateries range in price and style, so pick your favorite, and you will be sure to enjoy your entire stay in Washington, DC. For more information, visit Washington’s website.
- Potomac Highlands of West Virginia: This area of West Virginia is filled with activities for all ages. Enjoy winter games, views from a train car, biking, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, golf, the list goes on. Relish the outdoors in this gorgeous environment. To make it a cozy experience, stay at a bed and breakfast and go on a wine tour. For more information, visit West Virginia’s website.