Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, and it is nearly impossible to tell if your home is emitting radon unless you test for it. According to Radon.com, Radon is defined as follows:
Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you’re at high risk for developing lung cancer. Some scientific studies of radon exposure indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon. This may be due to their higher respiration rate and their rapidly dividing cells, which may be more vulnerable to radiation damage.
An acceptable level of Radon is 4.0 pCi/L. So, if you test your home for radon and the results are greater than 4.0, is there a way to fix the issue? Yes! Click here to read up on taking corrective action to reducing your radon levels.