James Madison University (JMU) is a large — and positive — factor in the economy of Harrisonburg and the surrounding area. JMU currently offers 68 undergraduate degree programs, 30 master’s programs, approximately 18,000 students, and a land mass of 696 acres of campus with 108 buildings.
Many students live off campus, and there are hundreds of faculty and staff that live in the Harrisonburg area, many of whom relocate to this area and need to find a home. So, which neighborhoods are close to JMU? What are the characteristics of these neighborhoods? Which one is right for you?
We’ve put together a map of neighborhoods near JMU, with all the information you need to get started in your search. This map (below) includes homes for sale, apartment complexes, and popular neighborhoods in close proximity to campus. Click the image below for more information.
Because the above map includes mostly homes and apartments for students, faculty and staff may not find exactly what they are looking for in that map. However, we have comprised a list of neighborhoods that you might find more appealing for your lifestyle:
- Old Town. This neighborhood is listed in the above map, and boasts wide streets, sidewalks, and fantastic location. It is located near downtown Harrisonburg, within walking distance to JMU. Homes in this neighborhood date back to the late 19th century and early 20th century, and range in price from $200,000 to $450,000, and are typically large homes with mature landscaping. [Search homes currently for sale in Old Town]
- Preston Heights. This neighborhood was built in the 1960s and 70s. It stretches from Ott Street to Cantrell Avenue, and is sandwiched between Old Town and JMU. The lots are about 1/3 acre each, a little larger than in Old Town. Several of the homes in Preston Heights are built on double lots, creating a more spacious feeling. This was one of the first neighborhoods to feature underground utilities (in its last phase). [Search homes currently for sale in Preston Heights]
- Sunset Heights. This neighborhood is located just Southwest of JMU’s campus and provides a variety of home styles, shapes, and sizes. It also features wide streets, friendly neighbors, and is within walking distance to Greenberry’s, JMU’s new baseball stadium, and two popular city parks (Hillandale and Westover). Homes in this neighborhood range in price from the low $200’s to the high $300’s. [Search homes currently for sale in Sunset Heights]
- Forest Hills. A grand and mature neighborhood, Forest Hills boasts mature trees, large beautiful homes, and lots of privacy. From this neighborhood, access jogging trails, walk to JMU’s campus, and even enjoy the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum. Forest Hills is in close proximity to town conveniences as well. Homes in this neighborhood range in price from the $200’s to the $400’s. [Search homes currently for sale in Forest Hills]
- Ashby Heights. This neighborhood is located just South of JMU and features a variety of home shapes and sizes. It is close to town conveniences, and is tucked away in a quiet area off of Port Republic Road. Homes in this neighborhood range in price from the high $100’s to the $300’s. [Search homes currently for sale in Ashby Heights]
- Stone Spring Village. This neighborhood is also located just South of JMU, across from Stone Spring Elementary School. It is a quiet, friendly neighborhood with lovely homes built in the 2000’s. Stone Spring Village is in a great location with easy access to any part of Harrisonburg. Homes in this neighborhood range in price from the $200’s to the $300’s. [Search homes currently for sale in Stone Spring Village]
That is a small sampling of homes for sale and neighborhoods near James Madison University. If you are in need of more information or further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us!