A recent survey done by the National Association of Home Builders shows that despite the ups and downs — okay, mostly downs… at least for now — of the housing market, Americans see the overall value of owning a home. It is still part of the American dream. In fact, 75 percent of those polled said owning a home is worth the risk of the fluctuations of the market, and 95 percent of the home owners said they are happy with their decision to own a home.
More survey results:
- 73% of those polled who do not own a home said owning a home is one of their goals (percentages are even higher among young folks).
- Home ownership and a retirement savings program are considered by voters to be their best investments.
- 80% of home owners would advise a close friend or family member just starting out to buy a home.
- Saving for a down payment and closing costs is the biggest barrier to home ownership.
- Americans believe that owning their own home is as important as being successful at their job or being able to pay for a family member’s education.
What do you think? Would you recommend purchasing a home to your closest family and friends?
If you want to keep an eye on home values in the Harrisonburg and Rockingham County area, be sure to stay tuned in to our local market trends!